Sunday, March 1, 2009

Another long blog and more rambling

So not much in the way of news to report. I'm just working and going to class and trying to network and such... I did find out that they posted professional internships... There are none for arts/graphics and only two for communication (which I may apply to). I kind of expected that. What with the economy being the way it is. It's still pretty disappointing, though.

I've started submitting on deviantart again... I'm potterfan80 on DA (if anybody's interested). It has a lot of old art on there... I plan on getting rid of most of it. I also plan on submitting new art. I want to get back into fine art and figure studies and more conceptual pieces... Not that drawing Mickey isn't fun... But I still haven't given up on my dream of one day displaying my work in a gallery... I wish I had taken pictures of my last art project. It was pretty awesome, actually. Jai, the gay Barbie (he was meant to be an accessory for Barbie). I made posters and a product box and decorated a little Barbie Volkswagen Beetle with gay bumper stickers... I even sewed little clothes for him (including sandals) and gave him (it was originally a Ken doll) a trendy haircut. It was all about the portrayal of gay men in the media and how they end of being these cute, funny eunuchs (Ken has no genitalia... it worked out perfectly) who talk about nothing but fashion and shopping... It took such a long time and a freaking lot of money. I have like almost no sewing experience... but that leopard print button up shirt looked awesome. And now it's just sitting in a storage building in Ohio.

I like the idea of my art critiquing the media - the same profession I want to work in. But you gotta do what you know...

One of my next projects is a little something involving Hannah Montana. I won't say more than that... but she's been an interest of mine for a while now. I even wrote a paper on her for my children's media class. She's such a phenomenon... And that Annie Lebowitz photo... that was so deliberate. She knows what she's doing. And she's damn good at it. People keep comparing her to Britney and Lindsay and some of the other Disney darlings (turned harlot). But I think she's a lot craftier than them. I'm really interested to see how her career plays out.

In other news... still on my diet. I'm going to reach my goal weight by May or June. If I do, I might just set a new goal weight... The best part is having to check out smaller sizes at costuming. I don't really have the money to buy new clothes (and want to wait until I'm closer to my goal weight in any case). But it's really satisfying to be able to go in and turn in pants that are starting to fall off of me for a smaller size. I can still remember trying on pants this past summer during training and finding out that my Disney size was two sizes bigger than I thought I was (turns out it was just one size bigger and I was deluding myself). But now I'm working my way down to what I weighed in high school and pretty soon I'll be down to what I weighed my freshman year in college (the last time I was trying to loose weight). My own clothes are starting not to fit me. I am having to check out belts at costuming now (mine are too big and I can't afford a new one). So now I'm wearing my Disney belt on my days off too.

Oh... and while I'm on the subject... I saw a video last night that one of my friends posted on youtube. It was something we filmed back in 2007... that he just now decided to finish editing. At any rate, it was shot just before I reached my highest weight... Looking at that and then looking at me now... I can definitely see a difference. At the same time, though... It really inspired me to keep going. I'm tired of being the big flat blob in all of my friends' photos. And I'd like to be able to feel comfortable in front of a camera. I want the me that people see to be the best possible version of me that I can be. And it really just comes down to caring enough about myself that I put the effort in to make the change.

My overall health has improved. And it's only going to get better. And it's not like I'm starving myself or anything. I eat more than I did before... And much better than I did before. It may take a little longer to shop and to cook and all that. But I'm worth that extra effort... that extra time.

Two little more tidbits... I have decided to enter the Night of Stars competition. I'm entering a flash animation. It's going to be about CP life. And I'm going to apply for professional internships... The deadlines are March 12 and 13 (respectively). So I have a lot of work to do in the next two weeks. I also am getting my business cards printed on Monday... and I'm going to have my website up by the 13th. I'm setting a lot of goals for myself and deadlines (which is even more important than actually setting the goals... the way to begin is to start doing and stop talking after all). A goal is a dream on a deadline (my marketing teacher told me that). And in this economy I can't afford not to do everything I can to set myself apart from everybody else.

2 comments:

  1. this blog included all the things i love hearing about. mickey, hannah montana, Lebowitz, etc.
    i'm glad to hear you are still doing the diet thing... i'm sure you look great :)
    (so how do i look at your stuff on this devianart website... yeah i kind of fill like an idiot bc i cant figure it out).

    and i'm going to be in Jacksonville 17-21... and i think on that thursday i might be able to borrow my sisters car. (do you know if you have to work yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The schedule isn't out yet. But I will probably have the 16th and 17th off (Monday and Tuesday). I almost always do. I do have class until 5 on the 17th, though. If you pick a day (18-21), I'll trade or give away a shift and we'll hang out.

    Oh and I am at http://potterfan80.deviantart.com and you should be able to browse my gallery. There's not much on there right now, though. None of my serious work (except for the figure studies and a portrait or two).

    Oh and I am so excited about the Hannah Montana movie in April... I saw an extended trailer and a song from it today.

    ReplyDelete