Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My first journal

So I've been saying for months now that I was going to start one... But now I'm actually doing it. I'm starting a blog. So, yeah. Here it is. LOL. I promise all of my entries won't be this boring... And I do plan on updating it much more frequently than I have my livejournal, deadjournal or myspace in the past. It's just that I now live in a different part of the country than most of my friends (and in some cases, they live in entirely different countries). The point being that I don't get to see my friends or speak with them as often as I'd like. And there's only so much you can say in your facebook status or send in a text message. And I guess it's because I'm a digital native (though you wouldn't know it by the limited amount of technology that I actually use)... Anyway, I'm just not very good at keeping in touch via snailmail. I did send out some postcards last month. But that can be problematic because then I have to figure out if I send it to their home address or their school address. And like me, my friends addresses tend to change by the year (or even sometimes several times a year). So I'm finally "getting with it" and embracing this technology.

Okay... so now for my first journal.

As many of you know, I've spent the last several months in Orlando, Florida, on the Walt Disney World College Program. I came down to Orlando in June, immediatley following my graduation from Ohio University. I earned a BA in art and a BS in digital media (3D animation). So now I'm just trying to network and make the most of this experience while trying to save money and finish my portfolio/demo reel. The ultimate goal is to move to California and get an internship in animation or TV.

Okay so that's the necessary information. On a more personal note, I've decided to make some major changes in my life - most of which I will chronicle in the days and weeks to come. I've started a new diet. So far it's going well... I plan on writing much more about it later. But my goal is to lose about 50 pounds. I'll keep you informed on my progress.

I also plan on posting drawings, animations and other potential portfolio/demo reel additions soon. I'm applying for lots of jobs and internships and even entering a few competitions. Basically I'm getting serious about my future again... The seven month hiatus was fun... well, most of it.... and after 9 and a half years of college (I'll admit) a bit restful (and who gets to have a seven month working vacation in Disney World?). But it's time I refocus on my dream. So that's what I'm doing.

Geez. So this journal turned out to be a bit heavier than I originally planned. Don't worry, though, I still plan on having fun and posting lots of pretty pictures of Walt Disney World and all the goings on down here. We have the new American Idol Experience opening up soon. And a new parade at Magic Kingdom. I still haven't met Tinkerbell... And don't get me started on the list of attractions and shows I haven't done.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to take College Program classes this time around. I really enjoyed Exploring Marketing... But I also need to focus on getting my website up (a web designer without a website... beyond pathetic), getting business cards, finishing my resume and portfolio, and networking my butt off. Then there's also the ImagiNations competition... which by the way, if you are a junior or senior in college or a recent grad and you are an artist, creative writer, animator, architect or engineer, theater desgin or fashion/costume designer and would like to be on my team, let me know. I'm going to enter by Jan 30 and submit by Feb 28. I have a lot of ideas and if you're interested in being on my team, then please contact me in the next week or two and I'll share with you just what I'm planning on submitting.

Well, I guess that's it. Like I said, I'll be posting frequently. Watch for my drawings and animations and such... Oh and I'll post a link to my website when I'm finished with it.

3 comments:

  1. yippy!!!!
    i'm so glad you started this now i can stalk you all the way in iowa :)
    great first post (it could have been better if you mentioned how awesome i was... but i will forgive you this time. lol)

    love, kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, so glad you have this blog. I was having Disney withdrawals since Kelsey has been back in the great state of IOWA. I didn't know where i was going to get my Disney news. Kelsey decided she finally found her place in this world. She felt that everybody at Disney was a little different and she felt right at home. I just knew someday she would find her place in the sun.
    keep writing and i will be reading..kelsey"s mom deb

    ReplyDelete