Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dilemma

So I went to the taping of the commercial for the new American Idol Experience attraction at Hollywood Studios last night. It was a lot of fun. I basically spent most of the night cheering and jumping and screaming and clapping. Well, that's not true. Most of the night was spent looking at hotties. When I wasn't doing that, I was watching the camera people and gaffers and grips... wishing more than anything that I could be on a production team again.

So now I'm trying to figure out where film or TV is going to fit into my career path.

Don't get me wrong. I love animation. And I know that if I'm serious about working in the animation industry I am going to have to focus all my energy on that.

But I love TV too. Most of my favorite memories of Athens are of Confused? (that kid's show I worked on) and Newswatch/WOUB.

Geez. Why can't I just have one interest?

You know that expression... life happens when you're making other plans? Well I had no idea 3 years ago when I started volunteering for all those parades and concerts and sports productions with the EM Department that I would actually grow to love video. I was just doing it to spend more time with my friends and to try something new. That and I thought video would make me more marketable.

Now I'm wondering if I should actually pursue a career in TV. I'm looking into a lot of internships right now. There's a lot of stuff out there for recent grads. Of course, I'm still looking into that summer thing with WDAS (Walt Disney Animation Studios) and the recent grad thing with Pixar among other things. I'm evening looking into Imagineering and DIMG (Disney Interactive Media Group... they do video games and internet stuff).

On a lighter note... my mom is coming to visit me soon. The last time she was down here at Disney World I took her to the Animal Kingdom and the Studios. We also went to Epcot/World Showcase briefly to watch Illuminations. She loved it. She didn't get a chance to go to MK, though. So I guess that's where we'll go. I only get her for like a day or two. We can do a lot of the things I haven't crossed off my list yet... Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress... and we'll have to do Philharmagic and Stitch's Great Escape (my favorite attractions at MK). And of course there's the parade and fireworks.

I really don't go to MK as much as I should. LOL. Free admission and I sit at home on my days off. I must be crazy.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the Inaugaration on the 20th. I heard a little bit of Bush's farewell speech today on youtube. And something about an Iraqi reporter throwing their shoes at him at some press conference. Crazy. But hopefully, things will start getting better now. Maybe it won't be as crazy hard getting a job in the somewhat near future. Stupid economic crisis! I've even considered going back to school (to wait it out). But I just can't go further into debt when I don't know if I'm actually going to be able to get a job in this business. Ugh.

So anyway, I've ranted long enough. Time to get to work on demo reel stuff. More interesting and less whiney posts later... I promise.

2 comments:

  1. i think you should apply for everything.. you don't want to limit yourself and if you don't apply you will never know if you would have got a job offer. (you don't want to regret it later on in life and you can make up your mind after you apply)

    i'm excited your mom is coming up again and i am sure she will love everything you take her to (make sure to do the laugh floor at MK)

    ... you blogs rock. :)
    hows work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work is boring, mostly. We do have some new people but I've been out in Main Entrance and Movieland for days so I haven't gotten to talk to them. We have a bunch of cheerleaders in the park tomorrow. I don't think it will be as bad as Pop Warner because they're supposed to be college age... but I have to be there until 11:45 (we were closing at 7 and getting out at 9:30... it was nice). Anyway, I can't look at a Snow White pin without thinking of you now. I got one today from some kid I traded with.

    ReplyDelete