Friday, February 6, 2009

So apparently I was wrong

I met with the guy from Magic of Animation. Not only did he tell me that there was no chance I'd get cross trained or transferred there, he completely deflated me. Honestly, he wouldn't have talked to a guest the way he talked to me. And it only got worse when I told him I was a CP. I swear... the full timers treat us all like crap. I am so sick of it. Later that very same day I had to sit through a communication meeting and listen to Joyce and Ed call me and the other CPs "college kids" over and over (like we weren't there). Why in the world did I extend? As if I didn't get enough abuse the first time? I mean, really... what am I thinking? I might have put up with this treatment when I was 19. But I'm 28. I am not a child. I do live in the real world and have real world responsibilities. And it's not like I'm walking around with rose colored glasses on or with some delusions of granduer. And that guy at the Magic of Animation... he acted like I was coming in there with some sort of expectation or sense of entitlement. Even if I was, who said it was his job to crush my hopes and dreams? I simply went in there to ask him if cross training was possible and under what circumstances could we orchestrate a transfer (at a later date). He told me I didn't follow "protocol." He even implied that I was going behind my managers' backs. I told him that my manager, Karen, was the one who sent me over here in the first place. Then he harped on the whole CP thing. I signed a contract and I'm obligated to stay in the role they put me in. I told him I heard about 2 CPs who transferred into the Magic of Animaiton last term. He said that was "unprecedented" and "caused more problems than it solved." Apparently, one of them quit and went home like two days after he finished training. So, he's judging all CPs by the actions of that one moron. And then he went on and on about how they have too many artists as it is and two people waiting to be training who are already in the right location/role. And then he goes on to tell me that the economy is slow right now (like I hadn't noticed) and that no one is coming to the parks (I guess I'm blind). I mean, I know that there are hiring freezes and they've asked 300 executives to leave and this is absolutely the worst time for a recent graduate to be trying to find a job (of course, try telling that to the student loan people...). And it wasn't like I was really expecting something to happen. I was hoping, of course. But the way he talked to me... it was like he was scolding me. I AM SO TIRED OF BEING TREATED LIKE A CHILD!

UGH!

So yeah... that's not going to happen. Apparently. I guess it's a good thing, though. If that's the way he treats his cast members... well, I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

He did say that my "level of expertise is far above" what the job requires (it is the lowest rung on the Disney artist ladder, after all). But that means that I do have a good portfolio and strong drawing skills. I don't know what good that does me in this economy... but it was nice to hear all the same.

So now I'm just going to concentrate on meeting people in other areas of Disney and filling out applications for apprenticeships in animation and more internships and entry level jobs in TV. Maybe there'll be one media outlet that isn't totally doing away with their internship program that will give me a chance and a reason not to go home with my tail between my legs.

That's my biggest fear... going home. There's no jobs back home. What in the world would I be doing? I'd be sitting at home... while new and better versions of the computer programs I know come out and I get further and further behind. I'd be scraping for change... trying to pay on student loans and looking for jobs that don't exist. No... I'll tell you exactly what I'd be doing: babysitting my sister's kids and sitting at my mom's house watching my near-invalid grandmother and going quietly insane. And let's not forget who'd be just 15 minutes away... the person I left Ohio for... the person I drove 900 miles away from. Forget the family drama (and there's plenty of it)... after 8 months I still can't bear to be anywhere near him. It would be torture.

So yeah... I'm more determined than ever to find a job. Hopefully in California.

In other news... diet is still going well. I've decided to start eating fruit again. I really missed my apples. I'm going to bring one for lunch today. That's about the only change I've made so far...

We're supposed to have the Hub Carts back today. I guess I'll see when I go into work. I hope that means that they're done with the Sorcerer's Hat. Of course, there's talks of moving it later... or just removing it.

David Cook is supposed to come soon for a big press event and a motorcade parade. That willl be fun. They originally wanted it to be a blue carpet event (they were going to paint the street blue). But I think they had problems with the paint not coming up as easily as they'd hope so they've probably scraped that idea.

I don't know when the HSM show is coming back to the hat. I hope it comes back soon. Of course, I'm on main entrance for the next two days so it's not like I'm going to see it if it does... I hate main entrance. And it's been like 30-40 degrees out. At least they only had the cart open for five hours yesterday. Of course Movieland stayed open the entire time. Apparently, it's not considered an outdoor location. It has a roof. Woohoo! Like that protects us from the cold wind... It might be okay if they gave us a heater. I actually had to go get hand warmers from the office. And they kept sending people out there without coats to give breaks.

Anyway... I still haven't seen the new Magic Kingdom parade. It was raining the day Jenny and I went. We did meet Tinkerbell (she was adorable) and some other fairies and princesses. That was fun. And I got to cross more attractions off my list. Jenny got herself some pins and a bag of taffy for her mom. So she was happy.

We actually got to see a little parade on Main Street with one of the guys from the Steelers (couldn't tell you who... I didn't even look at him). They had Chip and Dale dressed up as referees and Mickey in a football uniform. Minnie was there too, as a cheerleader. It was so cute.

I still don't have a camera so I'll have to rely on Jenny posting the pictures when she gets back to Michigan. I'm sure they'll be on facebook eventually, though.

I'm really looking forward to my friend Tracy visiting me next week. She's going to be here two days not instead of one!

Well, I better get ready for work. More later...

3 comments:

  1. i'm sorry you are having a hard time. some day when you rule the world you can fire all the full timers and make them pay. lol.
    it is to bad that you are having a bad time.

    i'm really jealous that i don't get to see the new mk parade. (i guess i will youtube it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm buying a camera (finally). I will post pictures and videos on facebook soon. I will probably see the parade on Wednesday... I have some shopping to do at MK before the discount goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is about time that you get a camera

    ReplyDelete